Thursday, October 22, 2009

New Voices from CALYX Press

Hi –
This is Cathy, the new assistant director at CALYX Press. I’ve just joined as half-time staff member, and we staff – after watching the fun the interns are having on this blog – have decided to jump in with some blogs of our own!

It’s a whirlwind here right now: the next issue is just wrapping up copy-editing, the Lois Cranston Memorial Prize has been chosen, and announcements are going out to the world; we just finished a fun gala – our Glitterati – which was my introduction to the CALYX board and volunteers, a great bunch! As the assistant on the business side, my focus is the website and ad sales and subscriptions and shipping… and quite a bit more I haven’t learned yet. It’s quite an education! I’ve been a writer and artist for years, but being part of the “other side” of the small press equation is quite an eye opener! The sheer amount of work that is involved in getting an issue out to press is amazing. I know that I’m going to have a different attitude toward each of the journals and small press books that come to my house from now on.

I’ll write more later, but now I have to get to stamping about a hundred envelopes!

No comments:

Post a Comment